Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Imagine for a moment if you will...

Running behind in the morning, a staff meeting morning no less, yet only by three or four minutes, so you're not feeling too stressed.  Fast forward to after dropping off a youngster at the before school sitter, and taking a different route to avoid the highway traffic at a standstill due to construction, only to find yourself stuck behind the s l o w e s t truck ever.  At this point, still not too stressed because there are some pretty good tunes playing (who can stay mad while singing in the car anyway?), and sweet, the truck turned onto a different road.  Then visualize arriving at school, parking, and lugging your always overloaded, neglected teacher bag (you know, the one that you bring home with good intentions each and every night, and almost each and every night you set it down never to give it a second glance) up onto your shoulder, while juggling your purse, jacket, coffee and water bottle as you scurry up to the front steps of the building.  At our school parents park all along the street in front of the school while they wait until they can drop their students off. I wonder if they planned on getting a show this morning? Are you still imagining with me?  Oh good...now here's where the action really takes place.  Imagine this moving juggling act heading up the steps, and one foot not connecting efficiently with the second step.  I'm sure you can see where this is going.  I don't know what in the world happened, all I know is that I completely wiped out, falling up the concrete steps, and totally landed smashing down on both knees.  We're talking instant tear-filled eyes, agonizing pain, I was actually very surprised that I was able to get up so quickly to try to regroup mentally and get into the building to be on time for the staff meeting...yep, the staff meeting that was rescheduled to an upcoming PD day.  My wonderful cousin who is more like a sister to me has a cute country themed picture in her bathroom at her house that has an adorable cow, and the saying "Some days you step in it, some days you don't."  I guess this was just my day to step in it so to speak. ;)  I managed to get through the day, and it wasn't until I got in the car to drive home that it really sunk in how much my knee hurts.  So all of the productive plans I had for myself for when I was home this evening flew out the window.  To top it all off, I went to slice some cheese for my boys to have cheese and crackers as an afternoon snack, and I really should have known better.  I'm just glad that the knife didn't go through my finger deep enough to need stitches.  Needless to say I will NOT be touching any sharp objects in the near future!  Here's to hoping the rest of this week will be uneventful!  I'm just so glad that there wasn't anyone around (other than any parked parents who may have witnessed my epic clumsiness) to see how bad I wiped out!
~Heather~

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED this post. I had a similar experience which resulted in coming to grips with the fact that I should not be teaching purple crocs, despite the fact that the kids love them. Anyway... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! =)